fbpx
Whitelaw and Sons Real Estate Morgan Hill
reaching your real estate goals
Robert Whitelaw, Realtor®

Robert Whitelaw, Realtor®

Published:May 24, 2023

Born and raised in Silicon Valley, Robert has helped clients successfully buy, sell and invest in real estate throughout Santa Clara County. Robert uses his local market knowledge to help clients across Silicon Valley!

In this thought-provoking episode, we delve into the often overlooked drawbacks of low-income buyers availing themselves of 1% down loans.

Today we will specifically be talking about the Rocket Mortgage ONE+ loan program which also includes a 2% grant to the buyer. While these loans may seem appealing on the surface, they can harbor hidden pitfalls that can leave borrowers vulnerable. Join us as we explore the cautionary tales and shed light on the potential downsides of this financing option.

Understanding 1% Down Loans:

We begin by explaining the concept of 1% down loans, which have gained popularity as an attractive option for individuals with limited financial resources. These loans enable borrowers to put down only 1% of the home’s purchase price, while the remaining 99% is financed. At first glance, this may seem like an excellent opportunity, but closer examination reveals significant downsides. Even in the case of the Rocket Mortgage 2% grant, these issues remain. It also remains to be seen how burdening someone who is already financially disadvantaged with even more debt, without giving them the knowledge and skills to manage the debt they already have.

Higher Interest Rates and PMI:

One of the primary downsides of 1% down loans is the higher interest rates imposed by lenders. Given the increased risk associated with such loans, lenders often compensate by charging higher interest rates. While PMI is typical, at least this is not included in this Rocket Mortgage loan program. It remains to be seen what interest rates Rocket Mortgage is charging for the One+ program, but it would not be a surprise if borrowers are paying a premium for this kind of loan that would then last for the entire life of that loan.

Negative Equity and Limited Equity Building:

With a mere 1% down payment, buyers are at greater risk of falling into a negative equity situation. In the event of a downturn in the housing market or a decline in property values, borrowers may find themselves owing more on their mortgage than the actual value of the property. This lack of equity also hampers their ability to build wealth through homeownership.

Financial Stress and Limited Savings:

Low-income buyers who opt for 1% down loans often face increased financial stress. The combination of higher monthly mortgage payments and elevated interest rates leaving little room for savings or unexpected expenses. This lack of financial cushion can make homeownership a precarious endeavor.

The Importance of Financial Education:

We conclude the episode by stressing the significance of financial education for low-income buyers considering 1% down loans or any other financing options. With proper knowledge and guidance, potential homeowners can make more informed decisions, understand the long-term consequences, and explore alternative routes to affordable homeownership.

While 1% down loans may initially appear enticing for low-income buyers, our exploration of their downsides unveils potential risks that should not be overlooked. Higher interest rates, negative equity concerns, limited equity building, and financial stress collectively illustrate the need for caution and thorough understanding. By promoting financial education and exploring alternative options, we can empower low-income buyers to make choices that foster long-term stability and success in their homeownership journey.

 

Links:

Check Out The Last Show!

digital curb appeal

Digital Curb Appeal

In todays modern home searching environment, digital curb appeal is needed in order to get the largest number of buyers interesting in your home. But it can also work for buyers to get great deals!

Get Your FREE Home Value Estimate!

Just enter your address and get access to your instant home value estimate, but also amazing tools to evaluate refinance options, your equity, ways to levarage your homes equity, how to pay your home off faster… and so much more!

Schedule A Consultation With Robert!

 

Let's Talk About Achieving Your Real Estate Goals!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join to get access to the best information on our local real estate markets, important real estate news, insights, information and tips on how to realize your real estate goals!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest

Feel Like Sharing?

Share this with your friends and followers on social media!